WEM-International was created to advance equal representation of women and men at all levels of EMBs, particularly in leadership positions. WEM-International seeks to provide peer-to-peer support for elections management professionals in integrating gender equality across all electoral activities and programs.
WEM-International’s main activities are:
- Capacity building for women in EMBs;
- Capacity building for EMBs on gender equality;
- Facilitating exchanges between and among EMBs;
- Conducting research on gender and producing knowledge-based products;
- Developing a one-stop information hub on women in EMBs and electoral processes;
- Hosting dialogues/forums on gender equality and civic education.
Membership in WEM-International is open to the national EMBs of all countries, regional and international election organizations, and specialized associations.
WEM-International was initially founded in 2017 with the support of the United Nations Programme "Women in Politics", implemented by the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) funded by the Government of Sweden